Wednesday, November 28, 2012

A Preface to Kate’s Birth Story


I’m going to start Kate’s birth story by writing about why and how we decided to have a natural birth at a birthing center.  It is a decision that I feel like Heavenly Father guided us through the whole way. My hope is that I can inspire or encourage someone else who may be considering the same option.  I want to make sure that I don’t make anyone feel bad about their birth experience. Every birth is special and sacred in its own special way.  I also don’t want to pressure anyone to have a natural birth or for it to come across that I think my way is better. Natural birth may not be for everyone and that is ok.  

With that said, it all started when Bruce and I watched a documentary called The Business of Being Born back when I was pregnant with Madi.  It really opened my eyes to how births are viewed and handled today.  It really made me feel like a natural birth was the best option for both me and the baby.  So I said I’d “try”. After that I didn’t really do any type of preparation for a natural birth because I really had no idea what it would be like.  Long story short, I ended up at the hospital begging for an epidural.  My birth experience with Madi was still special and amazing.  I was blessed to not have any major complications or need too many interventions. At the time I didn’t know what I was missing out on so I was completely happy and content with it.

Moving forward to when I was pregnant with Kate, I had completely forgotten about my original desire to have a natural birth with Madi.  I was going to a regular OB doctor but there was something about the doctor and the practice that just didn’t feel right.  One day I was on facebook and I saw that a friend of mine posted her birth story. Like most moms, I love reading birth stories so I read hers.  She had had a natural birth at a birthing center not too far from where I live.  Her experience seemed so amazing and I had a renewed desire to learn more.  I began looking up site after site about natural birth and learning all about it.  I also messaged her and asked a bunch of questions.  She was so helpful and suggested that I go to the open house that the birthing center was having.  I told Bruce and asked if he would go with me.  He was a little reluctant because he said that my experience with Madi was good and wondered why I would want anything different.  But mostly he knew how much I needed that epidural. ;) Well when we got there we both fell in love with the place and the midwives.  We both had such a peaceful feeling about it. From that moment on we both felt really inspired that this was the path we should take.   

I was still anxious about making that leap because I doubted my own abilities.  Also, if I had Kate in the hospital it would be completely covered whereas we would have to pay a certain amount out of pocket at the birthing center.  An amount that we didn't have. This lead me to prolong switching over to the birthing center. Weeks went by and I couldn’t stop thinking and researching about natural births. Through my research and the fact that I couldn’t get natural birth out of my mind I finally came to the realization that this is what I felt was the best decision for me and my baby.  After talking to Bruce, he felt the same way. We decided we would find a way to make it work financially. I also really felt guided by Heavenly Father throughout all of this and I knew that He designed my body for this purpose. So I called the birthing center to make the switch.  They told me they were all full for the month of October (with only two midwives they can only take so many people in). I was absolutely devastated. Knowing I wanted a natural birth I began looking at other options. The best I could do was the Women’s Hospital in Greensboro because they allowed water births (the hospital closest to me didn’t). I started make arrangements to switch doctors once again since my doctor didn’t deliver at Women’s Hospital.  All the while still feeling down about the whole thing. I was actually scared to have my baby at the hospital.  For several reasons I knew that it was going to be a lot harder for me to have a natural birth at the hospital.  So I decided to email the birthing center back and basically beg for them to take me in.  To this day I’m not sure if they let me in because they felt bad for me or if they really did have someone drop out, but they told me that they had room and I could come.  I was ecstatic!! Around this same time we also had something come up with Bruce’s work that would cover the entire cost of the birthing center!  So at 30 weeks I finally had my first appointment with them and I felt completely calm and excited for things to come....

3 comments:

  1. i am so excited to read the rest! i so wanted this to be an option for my next but now that i can't-ill live it through you! so hurry on up!! haha jk:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Brit I am so excited to read your next post. I went to a midwife for my little girl but ended up being induced. I have thought about doimg some things different next time so I am super excited to hear how everything went for you

    ReplyDelete
  3. I completely agree with you -- unmedicated, out-of-hospital birth is not for everyone, but it is a good option for those who are healthy enough and have the desire. On the same lines, I am grateful for hospitals and medical interventions like cesareans that are available when needed. I love that you said you felt guided to make that decision and that you felt it was best for both you and baby. (And I'm glad I could help a little. :)) In my case, had I stuck with the original OB I was seeing before I learned about the birth center, and had I gone along with his plans for my baby's birth, I *know* that there would have been complications due to the medications I would have been given. Because I was at the birth center and we allowed my labor to begin on its own and progress naturally, potential complications were completely avoided.

    ReplyDelete