Thursday, December 30, 2010

Green Smoothies

Alright, guys, gals, whoever reads this blog, the time has now come for me to share the secret to why I have such a rockin' body. Haha, JK.  Bruce, Madi, and I have been drinking green smoothies for a couple of months now and they are AWESOME! 

Bruce's mom Kari introduced us to the concept and to the GreenSmoothieGirl,who is right here in Utah Valley.  At first the thought of putting spinach in my fruit smoothie sounded nasty, but then I tried one and they are scrumdiddlyumptious! 

If you are new to the concept of green smoothies, here is a little overview. 

Who eats a big plate of plain, raw, kale, collards, spinach, and carrots? Mustard greens, chard, and celery don’t end up in too many salads. Just the time to chew it would be half an hour (oh, and the chopping)! They’re a regular feature in our green smoothies every day.  Bruce and I drink a quart every day, that's roughly 15 servings of fruits and vegetables. I also love that I can give them to Madi and not have to worry about her getting the nutrients she needs. And, with smoothies, you don’t have to drizzle them with fattening salad dressings that are full of chemicals. This is because the fruit masks practically all of the green taste, bananas are especially good at this.  So here you have a smoothie full of fruits and vegetables that tastes like something you would get at Jamba.   Yum and Yum!

Bruce and I have definitely noticed a difference in the way our body feels when we are drinking green smoothies and when we are not. I have noticed that I have more energy throughout the day and I'm a lot more productive.  The more I drink smoothies the less cravings I have for unhealthy foods (although, I still do enjoy my ice cream ;) ). And as an added bonus, I am 15 lbs lighter than I was before I got pregnant or even while I was doing gymnastics.  Granted, some of that weight loss is contributed to some muscle loss, but still.  All throughout college I struggled with weight, especially around my midsection and now....gone and gone! 

Here is a few of the GreenSmoothieGirl's videos demonstrating how to make a green smoothie and other delicious and healthy treats we love.  http://www.greensmoothiegirl.com/videos/videos-page-1/?/page_id=337


Anyways, if I haven't convinced you to jump on the bandwagon yet, then you are dumb. (Just pickin', but seriously.) 

2 comments:

  1. what kind of blender do you use/have? I wanna start doing this!! I actually like "green drinks" like the odwalla green drinks... YUM

    ReplyDelete
  2. We just got a Blendtec blender with some Christmas money our parents gave us and we LOVE it! It is kinda pricey but we use it at least once a day, if not more. It does a really good job. But pretty much any blender will do the job. We used to have a Kitchenaid blender and it did just fine, just not as smooth and creamy as the Blendtec.

    ReplyDelete